Chai and Pakoda
We have had some weird weather in our neck of the woods recently. Cold one day, warm the next, pouring another day… like all the seasons rolled into one! It’s pouring cats and dogs right now. Since I am happily ensconced in my home, at my desk, writing this, I am loving the rain! To add to my joy, it’s Friday.
It’s the perfect opportunity to make myself and hubby a hot cup of Masala Chai and a batch of Bread Pakoda Sandwiches (pictured). Aah the good life! I hope you have the best weekend!
Masala Chai (spiced tea)
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup water
- I cup full-cream milk (you can use low-fat milk but full-cream tastes best)
- 3 tsps tea-leaves (use strong teas like Assam, Darjeeling, Nilgiri or Ceylon)
- 1″piece of dry ginger
- 2-3 cardamom pods split open
- 2 peppercorns
- 2 cloves
- 1″ piece of cinnamon
- 1 tsp aniseed/ fennel
- Sugar to taste
- Grind all the spices together coarsely in a coffee grinder and set aside.
- Mix the milk and water in a deep pan and bring to a boil on a high flame.
- As the milk/water mixture begins to rise to a boil add the spice mixture and reduce the flame to a simmer.
- When the milk/water rises to a boil again add the tea leaves, allow to rise and then turn the flame off.
- Cover the tea and allow it to brew for 2 minutes.
- Filter through a strainer, add sugar and enjoy!